Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 14, 2015

Pączki for Valentine's Day

Pączki (pronounced PAUNCH-kee) is the Polish word for donuts. 
Homemade Pączki 

Poles celebrate what is known as Fat Thursday which in olden days was a day (or several days, depending upon who you ask) of eating large amounts of foods that were forbidden during Lent.  In modern times, Fat Thursday is equated with the eating of the sugary treat, p

ączki, which are not prepared in advance but are freshly made throughout the day. Due to the popularity of the holiday,  bakeries find it to be one their busiest days of the year.  

It is said that in order to be a success in life, you must eat at least one donut on Fat Thursday (like Easter, the date changes yearly). If that is true, we are in trouble, because we had plans already for this year's date, February 12th, and I did not have time to make them.  :-)  Who wants to miss out on a reason to eat donuts?!  Not us!  Instead of eating them on Thursday, we had homemade pączki today (Valentine's Day).   In the recipe I used, the donuts are baked instead of fried.  I did not make the custard filling (though it is probably yummy), but filled some of them with raspberry jam and some with chocolate buttercream frosting.  They were delicious, and I am already being asked to make them again. Mmmm! 
The dog jumped up to look inside just as I snapped the picture. lol
Yummy! 

(The pictures are not as clear as I would like.  The battery in my 
camera was dead, so these had to be taken on a phone.)


6 comments:

  1. I see your provisional approval has arrived! Wahoo!!! I really enjoy reading how your family is moving along in this process. My husband and I are moving along in our process as well. Things flew in the beginning and have slowed to a crawl. We have been waiting 2 months for our judge to issue our bonding time/travel dates and hoping it will be soon! Who knows.....we might end up in Poland at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have been the opposite. With the exception of our referral, things have crawled along for us, so we are praying that things won't crawl for our travel dates. It would be awesome to be in Poland at the same time, but we have a couple steps to go, so I hope you don't wait for us. I know you must be itching to get over there. How many are you adopting?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jana, do you have a blog that I can follow? I would love to be able to see how things are going for you, especially if you travel first. Will be praying that you get travel dates very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not have a blog but would love to keep in touch by email. Here is mine, JA129 @ mail . com

    I have read many Poland blogs and they have all been very helpful. Maybe we can swap lists?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so funny.....we got our travel dates the day after I posted that first comment on the 9th. :)

    ReplyDelete

We have received your comment, and as soon as we can review it, it will appear below. Thank you!