Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Pierogies

A friend bought us some food items (imported from Poland) from a local store for us to try.   We have not tasted everything yet (the cabbage and beat salad sounds um, interesting), but I can tell you that the chocolate was delicious!  I think the Strawberry Cream Filled Chocolate and the Hazelnut bars were the favorites here, but they were all pretty good.  All of these items came from Big Lots, so if you have a store near you, maybe you can try them too.



Chocolate Bars...yum!


I also tried my hand at making home made pierogies this week.  Store bought pierogies are not my favorite dish, and I was not thrilled with the flavor of eating even the home made ones after I boiled them.  The filling is delicious though, and as recommended in the recipe, I did try frying them in a little olive oil and dipping them in sour cream. They are definitely good that way - isn't everything better fried?  And since I used olive oil for frying them, you know they are healthy, right?!   :-) 
(I know these are not the prettiest pictures: I was trying to get dinner on the table and just snapped a couple quickly, 
without spending a lot of time on getting the right angle, lighting, etc.)

Home made pierogies before boiling

After boiling and frying in olive oil








3 comments:

  1. Cabbage and beets aren't your thing?! Pickled....they are FANTASTIC! Believe it or not, sweet pickles red cabbage is great on pork tacos. ;)

    I can't wait to get my hands on some Polish pickled beets this summer! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, Jana. I have not actually ever tried it before, so I may be pleasantly surprised. I was really not sure how they are supposed to be eaten, but eating them on a taco of some sort sounds much better than eating it as a side dish right out of the jar.

      Delete
    2. To clarify, I have had pickled beets, but not the shredded cabbage/beet combo that is shown here.

      Delete

We have received your comment, and as soon as we can review it, it will appear below. Thank you!