Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Gulasz (Goulash)

Goulash is a dish that originated in Hungary but is popular in many areas of Europe, including Poland.   Gulasz  (Polish word for goulash) is a stew made from beef with green pepper, onion, tomato (paste), caraway seeds, and paprika as common base ingredients.

While we were in the program to adopt from Hungary, I came across this recipe for Hungarian Goulash that we really like.  I have made it many times over the last several months and love that it is made in my slow cooker. Some of the reviews state that it is too bland, but I think it has a great flavor.  It is not spicy, so if you are hoping for something with a kick you will need to add something else for extra spice.

Because it serves twelve,  I usually half the recipe for our family (for now - that may change as our kiddos get older :D).  I put four carrots in for half a recipe and do not always put in as much bell pepper as is called for because my kiddos are not crazy about green pepper.  Served over egg noodles it is delicious and leftovers mesh the flavors together even more the next day.

Yummy Goulash

2 comments:

  1. Paula Dean has a really good recipe for goulash, too! I never follow the recipe completely, so it comes out different each time! I'll have to give this one a shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will you email me the link? I will have to try it. :-)

      Delete

We have received your comment, and as soon as we can review it, it will appear below. Thank you!